Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 39: All the Live-Long Day

Another day in the dive shop! This one was a bit more exciting than the last, for several reasons. The big one was that I made a total rookie mistake, and left the compressor's freezer on. In context: a pipe carrying air from the compressor runs through the freezer, causing the water in the air to condense out. Except when you leave the freezer running over night, water freezes in the pipes, making compressing a lot harder. Which translated into me checking the freezer every hour or so, looking for progress. It was almost as bad as waiting for Popsicles to freeze.

I also got to continue my work on the batch of valves from Sunday. This is the best way to stave off the urge to sleep, as I'm more afraid of killing somebody with valve-maintenance negligence than I am tired. I spent much of the day with a toothbrush in my hand, scrubbing. If I ever get punished in the Army, I'll be ready.

Later on, I started up the now-thawed compressor, filled tanks for tomorrow, and washed gear. The washing bit is perhaps my favorite, as the others pop in from time to time. Cem usually joins me for the gear wash, and gives me advice on how to wash gear, kill with my bare hands, and woo the ladies. This must be how Luke Skywalker felt.

Not too much going on tonight, and I'm hitting the hay early. I have to be up early for a secret maritime missio... I've already said too much.

Yours in Hyperbole,
Robert

p.s. Tales of debauchery, forests, and Sydney are on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment